I was fortunate to receive a surprise package from a friend in America. It contained a few rolls of Catlabs X film 320 which I was very grateful for. So for the last post of this year I wanted to say thanks to that reader and to all my readers. I remain grateful for your interest in my few words and experiments with photography.
For this post, I have continued the trend of experimenting by pushing the film to 1600 with 510-pyro. It was out of curiosity and need. I have just returned from a few days in Glasgow and the weather was awful. Instead of having a photoshoot outside, we ended up visiting Kelvingrove Museum or restaurants. Even though the film was loaded in a Canon A1 with an f1.4 lens, I had to push the film in order to use it due to the dull and dark weather.
When I finally returned home, via detours away from flooded roads, I developed the film with 510-pyro. I used the box base development times to work out the ones needed to push the film. This wasn’t me using loads of maths, but the app film developer pro which I have raved about before. It gave these details…
I found the film base very thin and I had a little trouble loading it onto the spool. It did buckle a couple of times, the evidence of which you can see in the subway photo. Many of the photos were taken at f1.4 and 1/125th or less. I even went down to 1/30th at one point. Luckily I have used box cameras which often use that speed. It made the depth of field very shallow and hard to focus at times.
The resulting negs looked a little thin, but they scanned ok. Here are the results.
I got similar results from Kosmo Foto’s Agent Shadow pushed to 6400, both films are really versatile and I will try and keep one of them in my bag at all times. As for pyro, it always impresses me.
Now I will go back to waiting for the fireworks 🙂