When I did a search for it online, I found this post which mentioned some people have converted it to take 120 films. Jim Grey said he didn’t know why people did it, but it piqued my curiosity. Then I found this video which explained the whole procedure.
Well, that seemed doable, so I decided to give it a go.
Firstly, I taped the light meter at the front as suggested in the video.
I then tried loading the camera with a dummy roll of film, a spool with backing paper only. I found this moved around a lot, so I decided to make some simple adapters to keep the spool in the middle of the compartment. I used an old spool and cut it down.
This wasn’t a great solution as I found it jammed the film. I cut them down a little more and turned them the other way, with the thinner part touching the film spool. That seemed to work better.
After that, I made marks on the back of the camera to show where to pull the paper from and to where. I also wrote on the paper when I moved it along.
So with the practice done, I took the camera back to Blackpool for an outing with the original owner. I thought all was going well, but the whole system jammed after the third photo. The adapters I had made caused the jam. I closed the front down and put the J66 away. Eventually, I took the film out in a dark bag which allowed me to finish it with another camera. Once that was done I developed the film. I wasn’t expecting to see any results from the J66 part of the film, but I was wrong.
The first shot had light leaks, but the other two were surprisingly good. Sharper than I expected and the correct exposure. I used 400asa film which seemed to be perfect for the meter adaptations.
Though it did work quite well, I am not willing to repeat the experiment. It worked, it is possible, but I have lots of other 120 cameras I prefer to use my film in. To be honest I tried another spare roll in it without the adapters and that got stuck too.
So, there you go another experiment completed.