Someone asked me to make a list of my favourite cameras. That is a tricky question and depends on a number of factors.
- The camera I am using right now. The one I used last is often high on my list.
- The cameras I have tried in the past. It can’t be in the top ten if I haven’t tried it.
- The condition of the example I have tried. Of course, if I have only tried a crap example it will be low on my list no matter what other people might think of it.
So all that aside, here is my current top ten.
- Pentax ME Super – This camera is small and light, but very reliable. I seem to pick it up more than any other camera. I didn’t want to choose it as my number one, but I really do pick it up more than the others. I also liked the Pentax P30T and have difficulty choosing between the two. Ultimately I chose the ME Super and left the P30T off the list as they were so similar to me.
- Leica M3 – This should be number one, but as I don’t actually own it and can’t try it again I was reluctant to place it in the top spot.
- Fed 2 – This was one of the first cameras I tried after returning to film. It made me realize that film has a quality and look that digital just can’t capture. Plus, the photos I took using it are very meaningful to me. This choice is due to emotions rather than functionality.
- Nikon F2 – I used this camera during my trip to Taiwan and every shot came out. It is sharp and reliable.
- Olympus OM4 – None of the other SLRs I have tried has the spot metering function like this camera.
- Olympus LT-1 – It has a leather dress, is super sharp, and reliable.
- Konica Genba Kantoku DD – I love heavy duty cameras. Out of all the ones I have tried this was the sharpest. I regret giving it away but am happy I gave it to a very good friend.
- Canonet QL17 G-III – I chose this because it is small, light and has a clear rangefinder.
- Contax NX – This one makes the list because it is super sharp and the exposure choices are spot on. It might have the best lens I own.
- Rolleicord III – K3B – A medium format camera must be on this list. This the sharpest one I own. It won out over the Bronica ETR-C due to the fact it looks so much cooler to me. It won out over the Diana F+, because I just can’t bring myself to put in on the list, though I do actually like it.
- Yashica Electro 35 GSN – It’s Spiderman’s camera! I know I said top ten, but I really want to put this one on the list.
I am sure there are cameras I have forgotten but by just looking through my camera list page, these are the cameras that jumped out to me. Of course, as I add more cameras to my collection this top ten list might change. I know I am testing one at the moment which might replace the more emotional choices.