Photo Post: Minolta 7000 AF and a rusty battery compartment

I have tried this camera before, but it didn’t rock my world. To be fair I didn’t really give it a good go and sold it before I had a chance to put a second film through it. Then I received an influx of Minolta bodies and lenses from a friend and this camera was in that pile.

Unfortunately, when I tried to put batteries in this new example the battery terminals were completely rusted. There was no connection at all.

So with nothing to lose, I decided to try and remove the rust in an abrasive way. I figured I had the 7000i, this one was free and didn’t really care for it. So, first I dunked the battery compartment in water then put bicarbonate soda on the rusty parts. Then I dipped the whole thing in white vinegar and watched it bubble. When the bubbling had stopped I dried it off and repeated the process. Then I used a scouring pad to scrape off the rust.

Now, as you can see, I was a bit too vigorous with the scrubbing part and pulled off one of the springs. With a handy dentist tool I managed to get it back in the pinchers. To be fair the rust did come off, look at that sparkling spring. But did it work after? Well, there wouldn’t be a photo post if it hadn’t. Oh and interestingly, this example took AAA batteries whereas my first one took a 2CR5. This thread says there are a few different battery holders available. My new example also had a databack. Other than those two things they are the same camera hence no photos.

I loaded a roll of Rollei RPX 400 and wandered around a few places, then developed the film.

And this is the point where I went, something is wrong with my processing. Now three films have been damaged. The first time it happened I thought it was the film as it was expired. The second I thought, “that’s odd?? what happened here??” So I developed this film with a lot of care, but no, still weird. So after this film, I stopped and discussed the matter with Zone Imaging and queried whether I had a bad batch of chemicals. Then I figured that is dumb, they know what they are doing, it must be me, something is off. So I reread the instructions pamphlet I received and compared the times to the app I was using and sure enough, there was a difference. The app was now giving the wrong times for pyro and could not be trusted. I have to manually adjust the timer before starting any development with pyro and I will do that each time I use it. The app works fine with all other developers that I have tried just not pyro at the moment.

I decided to try a part roll of Fomadon 200 before giving up on pyro completely. I took a few shots of a friend while in Starbucks before getting down to the processing. I double-checked, then triple-checked the times before starting.

Here are the results from that short roll. I figured if the processing still had issues I had only wasted a very short part of a film.

Yatta!!! Perfect, phew, all is right in the world again and blacks are black again.

Also, I can see this camera worked really well and I am glad I gave it another try. I am also loving the new Minolta lenses I received in the junk box, lucky me. And now normal service should resume and hopefully no more underprocessed rolls of film for a while. I am not going to say…no more weird rolls of film, because that’s the film life.

Update: A little while after I figured out the processing issue and it was all down to exhausted fix. So I went back to this set of negs and refixed them, scanning them again after. There was a huge difference so I decided to update this post.

So here is the first set of photos, refixed and rescanned.

Yeah!!!! I got my photos back. I love them even more now they have been rescued. And I love this camera, but I don’t really need the 7000 and the 7000i so this might be sold even though I love it….keeping the prime lenses though.

12 thoughts on “Photo Post: Minolta 7000 AF and a rusty battery compartment

  1. Francis.R. says:

    Somehow the error adds an eerie character to the rabbit and the old architecture of the batch. The last ones, with the correct procedure are quite perfect indeed, with a kind character.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Darrell Meekcom says:

    I do believe the Minolta 7000 AF was the first proper autofocus slr swiftly followed by the Olympus OM707 and the beautiful but chunky Canon EOS 650 but I could have my history wrong, however, the 7000 AF is still an icon in the world of 35mm as far as I’m concerned. Peggy what you call disastrous processing I call Lomo-Art!! Lol 😁

    Liked by 1 person

  3. Roger B. says:

    There’s that solarization effect again. Unintentionally superb! The development app to which you refer: Is it the “massive dev chart”?

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Peggy says:

      No but it bases its times off that. It is film developer Pro, it is great with all other developers. But recently hasn’t got pyro right. It just needs double checking for that one.

      Liked by 1 person

      1. Roger B. says:

        Go for it! The effect has a unique and (to me at least) very attractive look about it. Very vintage, reminiscent of time-worn tintypes or old glass negatives. You could claim your image of the cathedral steeple was made in 1912, and I’d believe you.

        Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.