I have wanted one of these cameras forever and never once thought I would find one in a junk bin…YATTA!!! I could not believe my eyes. Surely it would not work?? I tried it in the shop without a battery and the shutter opened. I tried it in manual and the speeds seemed fine. Ok then it must have fungus on the lens or massive amounts of haze??
A little bit of haze in the viewfinder, but not too serious. The seals were completely shot, so I changed those. There was some crud in the battery department, but nothing that a bit of vinegar would not remove. But what about the battery. Of course, it needed the banned mercury one. The hearing aid one (675) seemed just a little too small and the LR44 was far too big to fit in the hole. As the camera would still work in manual, I thought, “be brave”. So I used a dentist tool and yanked at the metal bar in the battery compartment a bit. That bent it and decreased the size of the hole. Voila, the hearing aid battery now fit and lit up the check light. That did not mean the camera would work in auto so I tried half a film, leaving the camera on auto only. Here are the photos I got back.
YES!!!! As it worked and I LOVE it. I tried it again with a black and white film.
The first part of the film was taken at my school so I have not posted any with full on shots of the children. The rest were taken in Yokohama where I was for a photo exhibition. I do love this camera. I posted it on Instagram and immediately got offers from people to buy it.
Though I obviously love it, I have decided not to keep it as it is very similar to the the Olympus 35DC of which I have a good example. That one is slightly lighter.