Tag Archives: Penee2

Olympus Pen EE2

I actually had 3 attempts to buy this camera. The first was utterly broken and I took it apart because it was only a couple of dollars. The second was bought on eBay and the red flag didn’t work so I sent it back for a refund. So then I contacted an eBay seller I have used before to see if he had one in stock. He did, but to be honest charged me a little too much. Ah well.

So when it arrived I decide to reskin it. I think it looks lovely. I have way too much of this material, but I think it makes my cameras look ‘mine’.

 

This website has so much more information and has a great review of the same camera. My favourite part about this camera that there is no need for batteries if the selenium cell works and this one did. It was produced from 1969-77 and is a half frame camera. It is a straight point and shoot, no zoning. There are two shutter speeds only 1/200th and 1/40th. If you choose a manual aperture you only get the latter and that means you need a REALLY steady hand. This website has more details on using that as a chosen effect for this camera. The minimum focal distance is 1.5m which is a little long and caught me out a few times.

Here is my test roll.

 

Of course as a half-frame camera you get twice as many photos than usual. As you can see it worked. As I specifically bought this camera there is no keep or sell. It is all mine 🙂

As an interesting note I usually use Kodak d-76 developing fluid, but I had run out. So for this roll I used fuji super prodol SPD which is half the price here. Use the iPhone app Film Developer Pro to work out processing times  as you can change choices such as temperature and it will adjust the time for you. I then put the times in the app Develop! for an actual processing timer. The first app does have a timer, but I prefer the second app for that. The problem I had with this film was that all my saved recipes are for D-76 and the database for SPD is very small. The SPD is also a speedy process, much quicker than D-76. That meant I could not just copy the times. The film I used was a lomography one, which is T-Max 100 in disguise. It was not in the database for SPD. SOOOOO I used the details for fuji acros 100 which was in the database for both developers and did some math. I figured that if I multiplied the d-76 time by 0.6 then I could get a rough developing time for the SPD. As you can see it worked. Yeah for math.

Keep or Sell: I kept if for a long time as I liked the skin I put on it, but at the end of the day it is a half frame, which is not my favourite. Sold and I managed to get my money back.

 

 

Reskin my Cameras

I have been laid up at home with influenza this week. Isolated. I couldn’t go out and basically slept all week. I have one more day of isolation left. As I couldn’t go out to take pictures and my house is too covered in tissues to take pictures inside I decided to try my hand at reskinning a couple of my cameras instead.

Maybe not the wises move when you are coughing and sleepy, but what the heck.

I had ordered some glue and leather from a shop on eBay. Hobby Nexus. They post detailed instructions online and I thought, well, the cameras only cost me $5 so what am I losing.

First I tried the other Olympus 35DC I had. Removing the old skin was easy. I forgot to take photos before I did it. So here is the one I posted about before.

And here is the reskinned one, this one has the timer switch.

I really like it. I didn’t go for a wild colour, so I think it looks smart. I hadn’t tested the camera at this point so didn’t know if it worked, but as I had run out of food I donned a mask and walked to the local combini….which was a mistake as I then slept for the next 4 hours.

It works and it looks pretty. My next reskin was on an Olympus Pen EE2.

The first picture is the original. I haven’t had the film developed yet so I don’t know if it works, that will be another post. I doesn’t look as neat, but I still like it.